Monday, July 23, 2012

Bon Voyage!


02/06/2012

Dearest ones- please note the difference in tones between the following travel log entries:


Bon Voyage Entry #1: “So it’s finally happening!!!  I’m on a plan heading from Brussels to Guinea alongside 26 other lovely (albeit horribly sleep-deprived) volunteers from all over the U.S.  Among all of our members, I’d estimate we’ve got at least 9 languages covered, once charismatic volunteer who has become bosom-buddies with our entire flight crew in all of 1 hour, and a grand assortment of actors, musicians, artists and circus performers.  If this whole volunteer thing doesn’t work out, we could at least start a street performance group in Guinea.

Bon Voyage Entry #2: Dear God it’s been 40 hours of traveling.  PLEASE LET ME SLEEP.

Somewhere in between, there was a definite transition from hopeful and giddy to haggard and desperate, but the adrenaline and caffeine pumping through my body completely garbled my memory of the journey from JFK New York to Conakry.  One journey I will never forget, however, is “Journey 2 Mysterious Island,” the movie playing on both of our flights (and the flight I recently took back to Washington).  I have now seen the actor formerly known as “The Rock” bounce berries off his enormous pectorals 3 times and in as many different languages.




Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment